21 June 2009

The dam that Zihni built


In The Alex Buzo Company I described how the noted Australian playwright and author came to live in Armidale in 1954, at the age of ten, when his father Zihni moved there to supervise construction of the Oaky River hydroelectric power station. Zihni would drive us out to the site from time to time to inspect progress on the construction, trips of which I have fond memories.

I have no photographs from the construction phase, and just one from shortly after the dam filled.

This is the dam that Zihni built.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

The west wall was washed away 23 Feb 2013.

I helped operate the Hydro electric scheme 1957 to 1962
Colin R.

Colin Rutherford said...

The west wall was washed away 23rd Feb 2013.
I helped operate the hydro electric scheme 1957 to 1963.

gcfcomms said...

We lived in the village 1964 to 1967
My Stepfather maurice Burleigh was a power staion engine driver there