13 July 2010

Who owns Gaza?


The Sunday 11 July edition of The Guardian reports that a Libyan ship carrying aid and activists is heading for Gaza in a mission that Israel has described as an "unnecessary provocation".

The Israeli navy is monitoring the vessel's progress and preparing to intervene if it continues on a course to Gaza.

The Guardian quotes Israeli Foreign Minister Avigdor Lieberman as saying in a radio broadcast:

I say very clearly, no ship will arrive in Gaza. We will not permit our sovereignty to be harmed.

I was wondering who owned Gaza. I thought there was some suggestion that it was under Palestinian control – indeed I thought I recalled some talk of Israel withdrawing from Gaza back in Ariel Sharon’s time. How silly of me – it belonged to Israel all along.

I am glad we have got that one sorted out.

No comments: